View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoxes View Post
I'm probably the only one here who has been issued a goat by the US government! That was my introduction to handling goats; however, I got to know them inside and out. I did a Google search [key words "Special Forces Goat Lab"] for open source information to share and found something useful in the third listing. While I know the excerpt I've quoted to be an accurate representation, I'm not otherwise familiar with the source website http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/0...s_of_the_.html:

"With much ado paid to the role of special forces in the war in Afghanistan, here's a little-known fact about their preparation for combat: The medics assigned to Army special operations units are often surgically trained using live goats.

U.S. Special Operations Command last week announced it needs 500 goats delivered to Ft. Bragg, NC, most of them by the end of April.The command's John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School requested the goats, which it says are needed to aid medical and survival training for Army special forces soldiers.

"We have established protocols [that allow us to use animals] to teach our students surgical skills," said Army Maj. Richard Patterson, a spokesman for the center.Patterson was unable to say exactly how the goats are used, stipulating security reasons, but added that the center is certified and inspected by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation for Laboratory Animal Care.

The military also has its own internal oversight committee to ensure the Army follows animal welfare laws."
Been there, done that, about 20 times...

You get to go to the goat house and catch them, those that get away get away. Those that don't, ummmm..... well they aren't around any more.