View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My alma mater, the University of Texas, is well-known for having insanely difficult "weedout" classes for freshman. Class sizes are upwards of 500 and a large percentage of students fail them the first time or more. One especially difficult class is Government, because it's just never as big a part of the curriculum in high school as things like math and English. I watched very intelligent friends of mine suffer long hours of tedious memorization and generally work their asses off only to receive Cs.

And I said no way in hell am I doing that crap.

As with most Universities, it is acceptable to transfer hours in from another college. So one summer, I enrolled in the local community college and took Government as a correspondence course. The test questions were pulled directly from the sample questions in the textbook, word-for-word. After the first two tests I didn't even skim the chapters, I just committed the questions and answers to short term memory. I got an A, transferred the credits, and moved along to more interesting classes.

Screw them and their weedout nonsense.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote