Thread: Narcissism
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My mom gives me her old copies of Time Magazine, so by the time I'm reading most of it is old news. I don't mind because it gives me a different insight into things that have come to pass. Also, articles such as the recent special section about the human brain are not really time-appropriate.

Anyway, yesterday after the big cell phone thread melee, and what I wrote about the 'look at me' world (here), I read a letter to time concerning them picking "YOU" (us, me) as Person of the Year:
TIME is right. It is the age of "Me." Cell-phone users hold personal conversations loud enough for the world to hear. Drivers swerve down the freeway, coffee in one hand, cell phone in the other, honking and worrying about no one but themselves. Totally uninteresting people make videos describing their lives. Has all this noise made things better? Maybe the next Persons of the Year should be "They," so people might actually consider the existence of other human beings.

BOB WIDMER

As to parents of today, in the college world we call them "Helicopter Parents." I refer again to my post concerning the "don't blame me" generation with an article that sums it up nicely, imho. Don't get me wrong, parental involvement is a wonderful thing; but kids need to learn to stand on their own. Then again, look how I turned out.