View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
That is why someone who had half my GPA, with no community service or student government involvement received a scholarship to Yale instead of me? Level playing field?
Not even close.
I am sorry that you didn't get into Yale. But not too sorry, when weighed against a minority's chance of getting in, were it not for affirmative action. In the not-so-distant-past, black people were not allowed to go to most colleges. When measured against that, your loss is, well, not even close. I hope you got an education from Brown or Penn or Duke....

Quote:
You should have heard the distain the woman had when she told me about it, something she was not supposed to do.
Was she a racist? Quotas in colleges are often because the administration feels that the college experience is better when you share it some people who are not just like you. Then there are the athletes and musicians who got in when you didn't, and it wasn't for their ethnicity, and they didn't have the academic qualification that you had. They had other things to offer than SAT scores. Did the woman show disdain for those folks, too?

Quote:
It harms the minorities it does not help them.It furthers the idea that they cannot do it on their own.
The club that I was involved in in college that is, predominantly, about helping blacks in school and after they get out of school feels this way as well. Affirmative action is harmful and degrading.
The black people in your college club were not kept out of college because they were black, were they? I wonder if their perspective would have been different if they had better scholastic credentials than you, but you got in and they didn't, just because they were black.