Thread: Vista or Not
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #52
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark View Post
Their cable modems connect to the routers out there over TCP/IP (the router has to use DHCP to connect to the modem, and usually requires you to use the "MAC Cloning" feature of the Linksys modems to connect the router from your PC as some cable providers associate a cable modem with a NIC card in a PC).
Verizon modems (ie Westell) permit a connection either under IP or using PPPoE to a router. Reason for using PPPoE option: it eliminates some latency.

Also curious is that PPPoE is provided by ATM - using existing equipment in Verizon's network.

I am surprised that (if) the Motorola modem does not also offer PPPoE - for faster operation.

Biggest sin in any modem is no status page to view signal strength. Again, Verizon DSL modems offer that, but I don't remember seeing such status information in FIOS. Comcast modems, as best I can tell, offer no signal strength even though that parameter is essential to understanding data loss and future failures. To not provide such numbers is akin to calling the user an 'idiot who need not know anything'. Rather insulting to assume a user should always be dumb.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote