View Single Post
Old 08-24-2001, 07:27 PM   #7
kisrael
Cantankerous Incantonator

Too bad they didn't overlay the eyetrack and the picture, it would be more informative. Still pretty cool.

I've heard researchers have come up with some really really cool stunts based on eye-tracking... there's this one where they swap letters around the page, anywhere the reader isn't looking at that moment in time. The effect is utterly invisible to the reader whose eyes they're monitor and screamingly obvious and apparent to anyone else.

Also, the feedback that the brain gets back about where the eye is at this moment is super crucial to your establishing your 'mental image' of everything around you... when that feedback path is damaged, the world goes sickeningly swimmingly around you as your eyes skew, thus changing your viewpoint without your brain being aware of it.

Sometimes I try to think about how important my sense of sight is to my model of the world; it's almost impossible to conceive of what I'd be without being able to see.

Someone else pointed out, do you think we're more likely to think of our head as our seat of self because our brain is there, because it's just behind our eyes and between our ears? (I'm not sure if other cultures (and sometimes are own) putting the heart or "live"r as the seat of emotions contradicts that, though)

Interesting stuff!