View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And then it all went to Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, etc. Seems they did quite well on our inventions, why couldn't we do well on theirs?
Yes as globalization does. They now make all the diodes, varistors, transistors, capacitors, and other commodities that have low profit and minimal technology. Meanwhile, when transistors were high tech, those jobs were created adjacent to where basic research discovered that technology.

Same applies to quantum physics. Where innovation occurs is where best jobs will appear. Of course, America can wait for those products to become commodities. Then we too will eventually have those jobs. That is what xoxoxoBruce is saying.

Who has best jobs making microprocessors? Same location where hafnium, strained silicon, and 45 nm transistors were implemented due to basic research. Best jobs created adjacent to the innovation. So where are all those profitable Taiwan microprocessors?

Bruce do you really believe they can do the research and we will then have the jobs? That is exactly what my MBA friends were telling me in the 1970s (even quoting from a magazine for MBAs called CEO). They waited for others to create new products - and then would clone those innovations. Therefore, their companies no longer exist. MBAs believe innovation costs too much. You are advocating the same mentality that destroyed their jobs.

The future lies in quantum physics. Where must such basic research go? It is leaving the US because somehow MBAs will instead create all the new jobs. That is the bottom line of what xoxoxoBruce has posted.

We exported the auto industry why? Because American innovation sat stifled for 20 years. We exported the tire industry because American tire manufaturers stifled the radial tire for 30 years. These are the lessons of history. Jobs (and new markets, wealth, strength, etc) go to where innovation occurs.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote