View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #701
perth
Strong Silent Type

I made the mistake of picking up the first Discworld book, 'The Color of Magic' by Terry Pratchett. It's going to cost me way too much to read the complete series. If you haven't heard of Discworld, the simplest analogy is to think Hitchhikers Guide set in a fantasy universe. It seems to me, however, that Discworld is more accessible and more consistently funny (tastes may vary). I'm reading 'Wyrd Sisters' now, which features Granny Weatherwax, a witch who quickly became a favourite character of mine in 'Equal Rites'.

I vaguely remember the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy being discussed a long time ago in this thread. I read the first book late last year and have been unable to find the second so far. Hopefully I'll get the rest read soon. A wonderful first book, from the first page I could vividly imagine the world in which it was based, and felt emotionally attached to the characters.

John Swartzwelder, 'The Time Machine Did It'. The cover touts it as 'by the writer of 59 episodes of The Simpsons'. Episodes I count among my favourites. I really thought I was in for a treat and ordered this one online (which I don't really like to do). Weak story wrapped around mediocre jokes. I was disappointed when it arrived, the book was very short. I had no idea what a blessing this was.

Uh, 'Freakonomics' was good, but I'm talking too much.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote