View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #646
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

A Walk on the Nightside by Simon R. Green. I picked this out of the library. I hadn't heard of the Nightside series, but so far I find the book fascinating.

There are many similarities to the movie Constantine, but that was based on the comic book Hellblazer. The Nightside novels haven't been made into a movie yet, but if they were it would be much more interesting than Constantine. The series explores a mystical underside of London. The style is pure Raymond Chandler with a lot of H.P. Lovecraft thrown in.

Apparently, occult detectives are now in, considering the release of The Dresden Files, on the Sci-Fi channel.

Maybe someone should do what NBC did back in the 70's and have multiple occult detective shows in a single series.

Fantasy Detective novels could include the Garret P.I. series by Glen Cook, the Hawk and Fisher series by Simon Green, and possibly parts of Discworld by Terry Pratchett. The good news is you could use some of the same sets and extras.

Quote:
The original incarnation of The NBC Mystery Movie consisted of three rotating series. McCloud, starring Dennis Weaver as a modern-day western Marshal who was transplanted from New Mexico to the streets of New York City, was a holdover from NBC's earlier Four in One lineup. McMillan and Wife starred Rock Hudson and Susan St. James as San Francisco Police Commissioner Stewart McMillan and his wife, Sally. And the most successful Mystery Movie segment of all, Columbo, featured Peter Falk reprising his role from the highly rated 1968 NBC made-for-television movie, Prescription: Murder, as a seemingly slow-witted yet keenly perceptive and doggedly tenacious L.A.P.D. homicide Lieutenant.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote