View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

December 24, 2006: Angkor Wat Stegosaurus

Featured on Fark Saturday was a Top Ten Cryptozoo Mystery Pix of 2006, but the one I found most interesting was this one.

Angkor Wat, in Cambodia, is a huge ancient temple, built in the 13th Century. It's the largest religious structure in the world, and the major cultural symbol for the country.

So the question is, how did a Stegosaurus end up in one of the carvings?

Unexplained Earth tells the story like it's a massive mystery:
Quote:
One of the last sites I visited was the jungle temple of Ta Prohm, said to contain an animal carving unique in the reqion. Ta Prohm is one of the most beautiful places to visit in the area with an incredible blending of ancient architecture and aggressive jungle growth.

Fig trees weave in and out of the crumbling stones both dismantling the fragile construction and yet holding it together. Archeologists involved with restoring Ta Prohm are left with a difficult decision. Cutting away the trees will prevent further destruction of the site. However, their removal will undoubtedly cause damage to both the stonework and perhaps just as importantly, to the atmosphere of this sacred site.

After wandering through the temple and marveling at the twisting fig trees for over an hour, I finally located the glyph I was searching for near the exit to the complex. Before me, enclosed in a round circle, was a clear depiction of what could only be a stegosaurus.

The creature had a small neck and four short legs with a long tail. Along its humped back, a series of plates were clearly carved. As I stared in a wonder, a guide leading two American tourists approached the spot and casually asked them if they believed dinosaurs lived 800 years ago? He then proudly showed them the stegosaurus carving to their utter amazement.

Stylistically similar circular carvings can be found all over Ta Prohm, but none of them show this same creature.
There are other explanations. It could be a flat-out hoax. It could represent a version of rhinos that lived there at the time. The temples apparently contain mystical carvings of all kinds of weird unearthly things, so perhaps this is just another such thing, just out of context. It could be a highly stylized version of some other creature. Who knows, but I'm not buying the concept that dinos walked the earth in Cambodia 900 years ago!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote