Thread: Senator Bigot
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 12:39 AM   #22
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

An opinion

I watched Lott on BET the other night...

I want to believe that he really is sorry for what he said. That he has no ill will towards minorities. That he actually believes in affirmative action and feels bad about voting against the King holiday. Not to mention, to be fair, he never specifically said anything regarding race...I didn't hear anything like, "If Strom had been elected president, we wouldn't have to cater to these fucking niggers!"

In the end, I think he's an "accidental racist." As in, "Oh, I have no problem with black people, just those fucking niggers." His past speaks for itself to me. And I think he's sorry only b/c he blew off the whole deal initially. Any chance of the Republicans pulling more than 9% of the African-American vote are gone for probably a decade.

Fuck the Majority Leader b.s...he should have resigned his Senate seat...what a crackhead.

I think two other important issues came out of all this...

1--The black vote is not to be fucked with. Notice how quickly some Republicans denounced the remarks. The GOP wants the minority vote, and the black vote is probably the most organized of the minorities in this country, except for maybe the Jews (if you classify them as a minority).

2--Though we have made great strides since the days of Jim Crow, we still have a great distance to travel to achieve equality among all peoples.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote