Thread: Organ recital
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Sorry, but I think it it's a ridiculous thing to do. You're endangering your own life in more ways than one in an attempt to allow an old lady to get a little older and have a a little longer to dream about seeing the grandchildren that do not yet exist?

Why? If you want to give the gift of life, donate blood and bone marrow -replenishable things you can donate more than once and can save babies at the very start of their journey through life.

But there's no fame and very little thanks going that route. And very little sacrifice.

If this woman cannot get a kidney from a brain-dead donor, that's probably because there are many people out there with a more desperate need than her. She just has the money to pay for it. It seems a little odd to me that there is a directory of potential live donors which patients themselves access directly, rather than the doctors. Why would this be, do you think? Is it ethical/wise for donors are recipients to know one another?

I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot bargepole. But then I'm not allowed to donate anything anyway because apparently us Brits all have mad cow disease, so I perhaps have more room to feel confident that not doing this is morally acceptable because it's a decision I will never have to make.

Sorry if I sound brutal/cold, but these are angles I really feel you should examine before making a decision.

Good luck.