View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Flint
Snowflake

I believe in defining people by what they practice, not by what they preach. I define Christians as practicing the mainstream interpretation of the Bible. I interpret it differently, and I don't call myself Christian. I could if I wanted to, but I wouldn't want to be confused with those other people, whom I don't agree with on several key points. So, for me it's all about clarity. Let the people who state that they are Christians be the ones who define what Christianity means. If that lumps a few good apples in with the rest, well I have an easy solution for that: they could cancel their membership to the club, if they don't like the direction it's going. I don't know what Christianity could possibly refer to, in the real world, if not Christians and what Christians actually do.

It's like saying "I'm a librarian but I don't actually work at the library, I sell ice cream at an amusement park. I know usually librarian means a certain thing, but I want you to forget that for now and pretend it means ice cream salesman. Those other librarians aren't really librarians. They're actually telephone repairmen who call themselves librarians, whereas I'm an ice cream salesman who is actually a real librarian." Can you see how confusing it gets when words aren't allowed to actually mean anything?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote