View Single Post
Old 08-13-2001, 09:52 PM   #8
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Re: Re: Palestinian State

Quote:
Originally posted by Xugumad
The state of Israel is an artificial creation - NOT by the UN, but rather by British sponsorship.
You make some excellent points, Xug, but I think you're being a little hard on the British. Granted, they started the ball rolling with the Balfour Declaration in 1917:
  • "His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people - it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine."
but it was meant as a statement of principle, not a concrete proposal.

When the League of Nations saddled Britain with the Palestine Mandate in 1922, it was a necessary expedient due to the breakup of the Ottoman Empire in the aftermath of WWI. Somebody had to run the place, after all. I don't think the British had any intention of allowing the establishment of a Jewish (let alone Zionist) state in the area, and certainly not at the expense of the Muslims (and sprinkling of Christians) who were already there . Heck... they spent years fighting Jewish terrorists who were trying to do that very thing. Remember the King David Hotel bombing?

Viewed with 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to see that the British made a lot of mistakes while they were in charge. But I think they're just the latest in a series of occupying powers- stretching back to the Romans- who are sorry they ever heard of the damned place, and were glad to be rid of it. Victims of circumstance, if you will.

My $.02
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote