View Single Post
Old 12-02-2002, 12:23 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by helen
That was an interesting link. The N. Carolina from 1581 has a tail on the back of his loincloth. I've never heard or seen that before.
That's actually fairly common ... what I've typically seen is some type of canid (wolf, fox or coyote), or horse, and sometimes skunk. It depends on what the individual's medicine animal is. Many dancers also will have full pelts, either as part of the loincloth or as shoulder decoration or bags (I have a deerskin bag which includes an entire fox-skin, as well as a coyote pelt.)

We once admitted a guy to the hospital that was wearing nothing but a pair of deer's ears on his genitals, but that's a slightly different situation. (A gas station attendant had thought his wardrobe was unusual, so he called the police. The remainder of the (roadkill) deer was hanging from a tree, where this fellow had dragged it with the stated intent of "living off it like a cheetah.") He told the cops that he was reclaiming the land in the name of the Native Americans.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote