View Single Post
Old 08-04-2001, 09:24 AM   #11
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I figure at this point, I can start very locally by getting involved in the neighborhood.
This is definately the way to start -- and with your website and talking up the neighborhood, you're definately going in the right direction. As you get more invovled in the community, you'll see where you need to be to actually effect change -- sometimes that place is through formal politics and sometimes, you end up somewhere else where you can make things happen WITHOUT having to deal with the glad-handing that goes with political office in the US.

Here in Phoenixville, most of the *real* work gets done in the non-profit sector -- there's no real point in running for town council as it's ineffective and nothing gets done. So, even though I have a certain amount of "social capital" through the community garden, Communities That Care, etc, there's no point in entering the polictical arena -- I can accomplish what I need to accomplish where I am. But each community is different and by getting yourself out there and seeing where change need to happen and how best to accomplish that, your path will become more clear.

Good luck!