View Single Post
Old 08-03-2001, 02:24 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tony and GQ, you both brought up some good points, and I appreciate the advice from both sides. GQ, I will definitely check out that website.

Given that I was unemployed for 6 weeks, I have NO intention of quitting my new job, except if I hit a good lottery jackpot.

As I originally stated, at this point, a run at City Council is still a pipe dream. I live in the 10th District, which pretty much covers the entire Far Northeast (except for East Torresdale) and Rhawnhurst. The councilman is Brian O'Neill, which oddly, is the only council member I'm unfamiliar with. Not to mention, looking at the at-large members--Goode, Rizzo, Longstreth, Ortiz...well-known names in the city. Truth be told, Torresdale (and for that matter, Somerton and Bustleton can be included) is the exact opposite of South Philadelphia--90% white, upper middle-class, no rowhouses or tiny streets, other than little courts or plazas. I'm just another face in the crowd, albeit the goofy looking one walking around the neighborhood late at night. But I DO believe that the constituency is there. If not in Torresdale or the Far Northeast, then certainly in the city as a whole. But Tony makes a valid point--it takes $$$...and in a city where a bloc can make or break you (and I don't like unions), it's about the dead presidents. Not to mention, I have a bit of an aversion to politics, as it involves backslapping and ass-kissing...things that I can do very well, but very rarely do b/c I hate them.

I think you can reach the young voters...you have to be where they're at. Do a voter registration drive at a high school or college (which I think is possible...so long as you're not pandering too hard). Lord knows, when I was away at school, all the political juggernauts in Southeast Missouri were trying to get people to register to vote at SEMO. They'd have booths and tables set up all over campus trying to get people signed up.

And Tony, I'm already a celebrity...now I just have to convert it away from the net.

I figure at this point, I can start very locally by getting involved in the neighborhood. From what I've seen, there isn't a neighborhood association per se, at least in my part of Torresdale (and granted, Torresdale is a relatively large area).

But in a way, I feel I have already started. Granted, it would seem that no one on this list lives in the area, but I hawk the place like it's on sale. It's a nice, suburban-like area, conveniently located to schools, churches, I-95, the Boulevard, the Turnpike, Franklin Mills, Neshaminy Mall, and other shopping areas. Several SEPTA routes run through the area, including the R7 regional rail, and bus routes 14, 20 and 66 offer 24-hour service to and from Frankford Terminal. A wide variety of housing is available, from small apartments to free-standing homes (which appear to be extremely rare in the city). The crime rate is very low and walking around late at night is very safe. (Am I sounding like a pitchman yet? )

So, at this point, it would seem that my best bet would be to find residents who share my enthusiasm as well as my concerns (the aging population of the neighborhood, keeping small businesses alive in the community, fostering good communication and neighborliness among all people). Not to mention, getting to know more about State Sen. Stack, Councilman O'Neill, and the other players in the area.

I may have a bit too much idealism going through me, but I have a strong drive in that I want to continue to better myself, my family, and my community. I don't want to become a cynic (and Tony, I didn't find your comments as cynical, but realistic), but I obviously have to keep a realistic perspective, which I have always tried to do.