View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002, 09:15 AM   #129
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Our nuts or heretics (yikes strong language) from the Catholic/Lutheran/Episcopalian perspective believe they can bring on the second coming by fighting for Israel and converting the Jews. .
There certainly are lunatic fundie Christian sects that claim to beleive such things, but I wouldn't describe them as particularly Catholic, Lutheran or Episcopalian...if anything that sounds more like lapsed Baptist spin-off.

That aside, I'd rate their "taking over" as about as "possible" as the re-ascendance of the "Heaven's Gate" crowd. To judge their incidence among the populatrion, count the bumper-stickers you see on the freeway displaying the word "rapture"
Quote:

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that we need to be careful not to empower our nuts who believe church and American state are one...
And that is *exactly* what the Manifesto (remeber the Manifesto?) is talking about when it decries <i>a Christian-chauvinist political agenda that echoes the religious absolutism of our enemies</i>.

The local "Idiotarians of the Left" have been stridently vocal in this thread; there don't seem to be any "Idiotarians of the Right" here.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote