View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 06:03 PM   #146
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
If I become mayor of Philadelphia next year, I'm going to divide it into sectors: Black, White, Hispanic, Gay, Jew, Russian, and Indian. And if the lesbians and transgendered want their own sections apart from gay men, we'll discuss it.
That'll never work....some of the lesbians are transsexual women. And some of them are black. I can tell you for sure some of the gay guys are transsexual men. There no shortage of gay Jews, either.

As I see it, the only solution is to give the bisexual transsexual women all-access passes. :-)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cam

Just a quick point about that, Zorg did say sexual preference not sex. So he's actually pretty much right in that part of his statement, unless you believe gays should dress differently.
Only if they feel like it. My point was that gender is <i>The Mother of All Group Identifications</i>; when people meet you it's the first box they check on their mental form....and people definately expect to to dress accordingly. There are still laws in some jurisdictions against crossdressing.

I sure was glad when PennDOT finally issued me a drivers licence that caught up with my birth certifcate. If I was stopped by Officer Dullard on an isolated southern road, I didn't want to stiill have an "M" in the "sex" box, even if I pass a physical as female now. The update card they originally issued wouldn't help much in that situation...:-)

As for the Janice Ashley story, I suppose it may be true, but female-to-male surgery still pretty much sucks. I'd want to see it somewhere besides "News of the Wierd" before I beleived it. There have been a few cases of gender detransition, but never to my knowlege among folks who followed the http://www.hbigda.org/soc.html]HBIGDA Standards of Care[/url]

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote