Thread: Bush the doof
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2001, 04:06 PM   #7
wst3
Simulated Simulacrum

I wasn't necesarilly out to reassure anyone... Ashcroft has some "interesting" views, and I think that everyone needs to be aware of them.

What I was trying to point out was that damming Bush based on one selection amongst his senior advisors didn't make a lot of sense.

I don't know whether or not Ashcroft will make a good AG anymore than anyone knew if Janet Reno would have made a good one when she was nominated.

I have my suspicions that he might turn out alright because I can't imagine the next administration or the party taking such a risk otherwise. No altruism there, I trust that the party leadership would not let a nominee in who couldn't get approved for reasons that are generally known.

It's one thing to get sandbagged by the old "illegal alien domestic help" trick... though you'd think they would check a little more carefully for that these days... but it is an entirely different thing to get shot down for your beliefs if they are already known.

FWIW, I don't particularly care for the views espoused (reportedly espoused??) by Ashcroft. I would not want to put him in a position to make the law because he and I differ on a couple of points.

But I have no problem with him enforcing the law if he can separate the two. He says he can, and the President Elect believes him... seems to me it is really up to his opponents to prove otherwise.

And I still don't see where the folks selected and nominated to make up the next administration do any disservice to the next President.
wst3 is offline   Reply With Quote