View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Re: Wish List: A car

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Saturns rock. The resale value may price a used Saturn out of your reach, though.
Thanks for bringing them up Mags. I completely forgot about them! I always have liked them...I particularly like that new Ion...sharp.

Quote:
Out-of-towner's probably don't know that public transit suffers from a terrible problem in the Philly area: All the rail-based transit is based on the travel patterns of a bygone era, when workers lived in the suburbs and worked in the city; all travel was radial with the center of the city as a hub.
Philadelphia is an interesting scenario. Center City is still the big hub, but those suburban hubs are incredibly important to the region (KOP, Cherry Hill, Langhorne, Wilmington, etc.).

Quote:
Only relatively recently have the rail and light rail lines that once belonged to The Reading, Pennsylvania and Pennylvania and Western Railroads and the Philadelphia Rapid Transit company been interconnected, even in the central hub.
IIRC, the Daily News apologized a few months ago for saying that the connection between Market East and Suburban Stations would never work out.

With SEPTA expanding its coverage in Bucks County (like the Torresdale-Newtown bus), I'm surprised they haven't started a Bensalem-Norristown bus yet...I think it would be well-utilized. I'm glad to see that they're talking about expanding the 100 over to KOP/Valley Forge. That would be much better than those damned 124/125 buses.

Quote:
Living in NE Philly and working in KoP is a *lousy* combination. If you work out here, it's much easier to live out here too. Consider communities close in to (but not *in*) KoP....Phoenixville comes to mind. North of the river things are nice too, but until the US 202 construction is finished crossing the river at rush hour will be a hassle.
Unless Rho and I get jobs of life in the area, we are definitely moving out of Torresdale. Where depends on the jobs though...I don't mind taking SEPTA to and from work, but I wouldn't mind living closer to work either.