View Single Post
Old 02-01-2001, 09:11 AM   #3
Violine
Cat O'Nine Tails

Quote:
Originally posted by wst3
Just out of curiosity, anyone out there have a home studio or project studio?

The upside is that, if you want to be clever you can try hundreds of edits, and hundreds of mixes, because undoing the damage is only a mouse click away! (Bonus points for anyone who remembers putting little slivers of tape all over the place so you could "undo" an edit!)

I don't have a home studio, per say. But I do record live concerts (my own, usually, or friends who ask) using a portable minidisc. I have an old one - a Sony MZ-R3 - that I bought very soon after they were on the market. I am considering investing in new microphones. http://www.core-sound.com has some very interesting TINY mics that produce great recordings.

Without editing content (just removing long breaks and fading out long applause) I transfer the recordings to CD using stand alone Philips digital audio recorder.

With computerized labels and j-cards the presentation looks nice. Sound is decent - if not at saleable quality (and they are really only for archive purposes; I ditribute at $1 more than cost just to cover time).

Can I get bonus points though??? I used to work in a small theater in Swarthmore. Too small, in fact, to fit cast, orchestra and audience in the theater all at once. So we'd spend about 15 hours recording the orchestra and then about 100 hours EDITING the orchestra and play back on 2 reel-to-reel players during live performances! We had edits all over the place so the singers could take liberties and the audience could applaud/laugh longer than usual and we wouldn't get out of sync.

-- Ruth
Violine is offline   Reply With Quote