View Single Post
Old 10-20-2002, 10:03 PM   #10
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Wish List: A car

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

It doesn't have to look good...it can be a bit rusted and beat up. I just need a good reliable car that will get me from point a to point b and not give me a lot of shit.
Saturns rock. The resale value may price a used Saturn out of your reach, though.

Out-of-towner's probably don't know that public transit suffers from a terrible problem in the Philly area: All the rail-based transit is based on the travel patterns of a bygone era, when workers lived in the suburbs and worked in the city; all travel was radial with the center of the city as a hub.

Only relatively recently have the rail and light rail lines that once belonged to The Reading, Pennsylvania and Pennylvania and Western Railroads and the Philadelphia Rapid Transit company been interconnected, even in the central hub.

Travel from any point in the Suburbs (a term I'll use to include the Northeast section of the city, which was annexed to the city fairly late in it's history) is problematic, and in many cases the only practical route it to travel into town, make a connection, and travel back out again, even though the miles covered are vastly increased.. Only busses are capable of servicing a trip that has *both* termini outside the city center.

There have been proposals to route commuter traffic over the Conrail tracks that pass east-and-west north of the city parallel to the Turnpike, but Conrail has no stomach for the liability exposure arising from commuter travel on what is now their frieght-only lines.

Living in NE Philly and working in KoP is a *lousy* combination. If you work out here, it's much easier to live out here too. Consider communities close in to (but not *in*) KoP....Phoenixville comes to mind. North of the river things are nice too, but until the US 202 construction is finished crossing the river at rush hour will be a hassle.