View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #49
Beautiful_Stranger
(Barbara..smiles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
It is entirely possible that the brain jolts are artifacts of your neurochemistry trying to make do with the lower amount of serotonin available. I get dizzy and "zaps" when I miss a single day's dose, and if I go for two days, I'm not really very functional.

Most SRI's and other neuromeds require a slow taper to allow the body to adjust to the alteration in function caused by the lower med doses. I'd see my doc, seriously. Brain zaps ain't normal. Also, one of the most frequent things heard by head docs is "I don't need this stuff anymore". People who get to feeling better while on meds tend to think that they are now fine, and stop taking the stuff. This is pretty much counterintuitive and is a false impression. Usually, they're better *because* they're taking the drugs...
Dear Elspode;

Yes...that explanation makes great sense. No, brain zaps aren't normal but they certainly seem symptomatic of Lexapro withdrawal, as you yourself have experienced missing only a pill or two. I myself have never been to a "head doc;" but I spoke to my GP (who prescribed the medication for me) today and he said the withdrawal symptoms should let up in a few weeks.

I personally was not a danger to anyone and/or non-functional prior to my doctor's Lexapro recommendation. One thing that we must remember is that, should anyone decide to quit taking this antidepresant (and we're not - I'M not - talking about anti-psychotics here), returning to medication is always an option. My guess is that, knowing who I am and my strong survival instincts, my physician trusts that I will come to him once again if I come to find that the cessation of my daily Lexapro was a mistake.

Thank you for your explanation and your encouragement. Have a super day !

Barbara
Beautiful_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote