View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #17
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Kaboom!

3' and Rage got me thinking. I feel so lucky that I grew up without too much adult supervision. We didn't have kite tubes, but we didn't need them. I would take off on my bike and ride to places unknown. No helmet. Abandoned buildings or buildings under construction were always cool. You learn about the world that way. No supervision is not always a bad thing. And that tennis ball cannon? Just great! 5 soda cans stacked together with each can's top and botton cut to leave a half-moon of metal. Leave the bottom of the bottom can uncut, but punch a small hole on the bottom edge. Cut the entire top off the top can. Stack the cans to form a tube and alternate the openings. Use duct tape to bind them together. Pour some Ronson brand lighter fluid liberally into the top of the cannon and let it slosh around until the entire insides of the can are coated and a small pool of fluid ends up on the bottom. Place a tennis ball into the top can. Put a flame to the hole at the bottom. POW!!! Best damn device I've ever had the pleasure to make and use. Good, safe, Summer fun. I tip my hat to the Tom and Bill Patterson, the "Patterson Twins" for teaching me that one. What are friends for, after all?