View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Okay...let me just start out by saying that I am truly sorry to hear about this gentleman's injury. I have a head-injured son, and I know how difficult the life of a post-CNS injury victim can be, believe me.

However...I am very much curious as to how a person wouldn't just look at something like a kite tube, knowing full well that they would be tens of feet in the air, moving at speeds for which the human body is not normally designed to move without protection, and not know that there was a serious possibility of injury or death.

It doesn't take an aeronautical physics major to be able to see that a kite tube is not controllable while in the air, and therefore potentially dangerous.

Of course, I must disclaim being completely judgemental about this as I've never seen the packaging or product in person. Does the box say anything like "Use at your own risk" or "Caution: Kite Tube may be unstable while airborne?"

If the device is being portrayed as being inherently safe, then I say sue. However, if it is glaringly obvious that one might be taking one's life into their own hands while using it, then should such a case have merit?

There is a serious lack of personal responsibility in the world today. I'd like to be real clear on whether or not the people selling this thing are truly and grossly negligent, or whether the purchasers and users are just not paying attention before I make any quantum judgements about this issue.