Thread: pennant races
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #26
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Ok W.HI.P, I've run through the AL West in my head again and I just don't see how you're pegging Oakland for last place. Let's look at the teams:

Texas - Great bats, decent pitching. I don't see it lasting though. Padilla and Millwood are solid but rest of the starting pitching doesn't instill confidence. The relief has been shaky too. The heat and ballpark will take a toll on the whole team as the year goes on. In fact all those hitters aren't such an advantage when most teams can rack up runs so easily. Frankly I just don't see them keeping it together at their current level for a whole year yet alone improving.

Seattle - Good starting staff. If Felix picks up they will be a force. But the bullpen is dicey. Guardado is out of his prime and Putz may not be a long-term solution at closer. Hitting is good. The team has improved no doubt.

Anaheim - They got legitimate talent. If they can start playing like a real team and avoid injury they will be the A's main competition.

Oakland - Traditional slow starters and been plagued with injuries (more DL trips this year than all of last year). Currently burning up as is June tradition. Even with Harden out they got a good starting rotation. Now that Duchscherer is back the middle relief is looking good again. Street closing, can't argue that even if he does blow a few. Batting is the weak spot but if this is a beat up A's team imagine when the 6 players on DL come back.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote