View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 11:36 PM   #39
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Chefranden

1. How? Iraq has no industrial capacity. It has no access to raw materials. It has no money to by arms. It can barely feed its people let alone some none productive army on some forgein adventure. It's military is primarily Infantry fighting with little ground cover. There is no air force. There is little armor left. If Saddam has a nucular bomb he'll have to send it UPS. Is he an evil dictator? Well yes, but we really don't mind evil dictators as long as they do what their told. (Cf. Samosa, Noriagia, and Pinochet) Does he kill his own people? Yes, but we don't mind that either. We were perfectly happy to help in that endevor 13years+ ago. Has he attacked other neighbors besides Kuwait? Well ya, but again we were very happy about that and helped him in that endevor as well, suppling him with Anthrax and chemical weapon materials. By the way he didn't exactly roll over Iran when he had a functioning military, did he?
Refer to other threads and posts where Hussein's spending has been talked about. In short, he's spending money on what he wants to, not what is necessary. He barely has money to feed the people because he's building palaces.

I'm not saying he <b>will</b> end up another Hitler - I'm simply posing the question. I am neutral on an attack at this point, but I certainly believe we need to force inspections.

Quote:
2. Well we are at war now while the economy tanks. Sure it will help cluster bomb makers. But 44 million people without health care may as well figure that they'll be with out another decade or two.
Our war right now is small enough that we haven't had to ramp up production yet. If we got involved in a full-fledged war, I'm willing to bet not insignificant sums of money that the economy would begin to recover. Jobs would be created, people would spend money, consumer confidence would go up...