View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

5/25/2006: Shrimp and Petroleum Queen

Axlrosen locates this Queen of the Louisiana Shrimp and Petroleum Festival, and 2005 Queen Abby Bruas features this unbelievably lovely gown to mark the honor.

Wait, Shrimp and Petroleum Festival? Doesn't sound like two great tastes that would taste great together...

IotD always features weird festivals from around the world, but it turns out that Louisiana is actually the Weird Festival center of the world. And what's more, they have Queens of all of them. The Gueydan Duck Festival Queen, the Louisiana Swine Festival Queen, Porte Barre Lion's Club Cracklin Festival Queen, Miss Nanitoches Meat Pie Festival Queen, Woodmen of the World Sausage Festival Queen. It's almost like people in LA can't hold a conference meeting without picking out which young gal is the prettiest. There appears to be no irony in it and Louisiana seems to have no shortage of young good-lookin' women who are willing to compete for and be tagged with such insane titles.

I suppose there's something wrong with this, but I'm not sure exactly what. It makes me vaguely uncomfortable.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote