View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #25
laebedahs
Abecedarian

Don't want to thread hijack, but I've lost 20-30 pounds since my wife left me (6 months ago). Several things did it:

Lack of money. I had to buy cheaper food, and less food, which also meant less eating out. Less eating out means a healthier diet (so long as I'm not replacing fried foods with fried foods).

Change of diet. When you decide to lose weight, do not decide to go on a diet, then later come off it. Never plan to come off a diet. What this means is stick with a "diet" that you can live with for the rest of the life. What this meant for me was dropping soda (mostly) in favor of cold tap water with lots and lots of ice (to the top of the glass!). I drink soda about once a week. I absolutely love drinking water now.

Motivation. You have to be motivated to do it. Find something that motivates you to lose weight and concentrate on it. Sure, you say you're tired of being made fun of, but passive aggression gets you no where.

Alternately, if you want to take the "easy way" out, consider some form of surgery. However, consult your doctor about this first. My mom was about 300-350 pounds at 5'1" and had gastric bypass surgery, as did my aunt (she weighed more). My aunt lost more weight (she weighed about 50-100 pounds more). Although, consider both of these were middle aged women with medical reasons for surgery (diabetes, back problems).

Speaking of which, do you have diabetes? A lot of morbidly obese people do. If so, that makes losing weight harder.
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote