View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

So, in the forum dynamic, is it better to ostracize people with BPD or simply catalogue them in whatever folder you have for such things? Don't they fall in the same category as anyone else one finds insufferable (i.e., ignore-list worthy)? If they are suffering from a psychological condition that they have no control over, is that the same thing as run-of-the-mill attention whoring?

If I'm manic depressive, for example, and I follow up a happy post with a suicidal one, am I not being as "real" as my condition will allow me to be? Or am I dangerous to the herd, and therefore subject to ban? Is the cellar a microcosm of the real world, or does it have its own set of social norms? Seems like the latter, to me. More extreme behavior is tolerated (yet there is still a line that can't be crossed), and one's online-only friendships don't have the same requirements.

I'm genuinely curious, and not in the least prejudging anything that's happened -- aside from the big red letters and anger, what about marichiko is substantially more annoying than, say, me?

Maybe it's just that I don't read ANYthing on the internet without skepticism. I mean, I feel like most of us here are genuine, but I really have no proof of that (nor, to be honest, a vested interest in anyone's honesty). It's more like interactive people-watching or something. I read what people put out there, occasionally fling some poo myself, and just watch the process happen.

I've become acquainted with a few of you outside the confines of http://cellar.org, feel a certain affection (maybe just familiarity?) for most of the rest, but at no point has anyone pissed me off to the point of being mad "IRL". Like busterb says, the off button is there for a reason. You should use it, or the ignore feature, long before you allow yourself to get genuinely angry.

Opinions are like assholes, of course.