View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some of the pain of dieting is considering it a self-punishment. Or viewing it in a negative sort of way -- saying that you're NOT ALLOWED to have something, or that you're DENYING yourself things, or that you're TOO FAT TO EAT THIS FOOD, or etc...

It's all a bundle of negativity, and when you fail that's another dose of negativity. It's a self image thing and by the time you rationalize that you suck, it doesn't matter if you eat too much. The only thing that you know makes you feel good, is to eat the second half of that hoagie.

But there is a fact that you can't deny: when dieting, you're being GOOD to yourself. You're feeding yourself the right way, doing a positive thing, and all the negativity swirling around the situation is just a bunch of nonsense, so meaningless compared to the actual reality of living better.

Some people are motivated by goals and stuff, enh not me so much. Although the weekly weigh-in number becomes very motivational. You know what really motivates me right now? I want to be good in the sack.

It's one of those life things I guess - man before I was divorced this was not a big motivator. At all, I mean like I pretty much wrote it off. But J and I, well, we get it done. Now I'm not sayin' I lack right now, you could ask her. But I know that if I didn't have this big tire around my waist, I could really get 'er done, and not be all huffin' and puffin' myself.

Oh OK I'm only half serious. Maybe three-quarters serious. And hey maybe being more fit for my babe is part of the equation too. But my point is, if'n I could really get 'er done, that would be waaaaay better than eating the other half of that hoagie, you know?

Just have to remember that when I finish the first half of it. You know - the whole decision-making process is hard and when lunchtime comes around, you don't want to sit there and fidget with yourself trying to remember the whole argument in order to make the right decision. But if you simplify, and say hey, if I don't eat the whole thing I'ma get laid out of my skull, well then you're playing basic fundamental human needs against one another.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote