View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #177
mrnoodle
bent

I skipped a bunch of the middle bits, sorry if this has been addressed.
re: semantics.

I'll speak from a Christian perspective (and anyone here can tell you I don't hate anyone, and I don't care which consenting adult you rub your genitals on). Bear with me, I have to do a little proselytizing as background info, but the point is coming up.

To us, homosexuality is a sin. It's no worse and no better than any other sin, but in my religion, it indicates separation from God's will. The difference between me (and those who believe as I do) and Phelps' hate brigade is that I think the bible says that everyone is a sinner. In fact, I'm sure it does. It also says that no one is righteous except Christ.

Kind of lumps us all in the same group, in my book. What makes believers and nonbelievers different isn't the frequency or severity of our sins. It's whether or not we think that Jesus was God's son, and whether or not his death paid the penalty that we would otherwise have to pay ourselves.

So. To me, there's is no disconnect between recognizing homosexuality as sin and being loving and kind to every person, regardless of their personal situation with God, which is really none of my business. However, for many of us, Christian or not, gayness seems wrong biologically and morally. Therefore, someone who tells our kids "it's not wrong, it's great. I don't care what your fairy tale book or grandma told you!" is not just sharing the fact of the existence of homosexuality. They are promoting a moral standpoint that also "feels" unnatural on a very deep level. The place for this is not in schools, as many of you have rightly pointed out. By the same token, no school should allow any kind of bigotry.

Where does an book about 2 gay princes fall into this? I'm torn. Children's books normally illustrate archetypes and big-picture kinds of concepts: princess gets saved from the dragon, Bobby learns to share, counting is fun, etc. etc. This one seems like its purpose is to make political hay.

I've been wrong before.

/experimented in college
//i was stoned
///this isn't fark, why am i using slashes?