Thread: No-Name Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Like little ol' Miss Reese Witherspoon, "I'm jus' tryin' ta matter!" (yeah, that makes me gag.)

I'm finding it difficult to matter. I look around and I see people with all sorts of confidence, plans, road maps, talent, brains, courage, heart, ambition, etc., and I wonder: do they have deep chasms of doubt? Canyons of terror? Do they ever peer into the Great Abyss and see themselves?

And, if they do, is it critical that they never, ever, ever tell? Is part of being 'together' to never admit to fear?
This is what I mean when I talk about "posturing". The level of posturing rises exponentially with the level of success. At my University job, in a city near you, bri , the Grandstanding was outrageous. Here in the Silicon Valley, the software engineers that are primadonnas are a royal pain in the ass at work.

Outside of work, some of my best friends are always grandstanding and posturing all the time and I just don't want any part of that anymore. It's too exhausting. Actually, in the 2000 Internet bubble, I had more stock-option success than these friends, and then started and sold my own company. Still these friends try to out do me. This is when I fantacize about being a different person of a different gender, and avoiding the whole silicon-valley-male posturing thing. Where is my violet eyeshadow? I'm sure it's here somewhere......