View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: 9/15/2002: Peugeot "fire car"

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

The hydrogen is made by the car. That means it needs oxygen too, so it either gets it from the air or uses a spare tank if the air conditions are too smoky. I gather that's the point of the vehicle...
But this is a concept car...
Yeah, I'll say.

So...let me understand....the car makes hydrogen (from something)...for the hydrogen fuel cells. Then it needs oxygen to react with the hydrogen to make electricity. Unless the air is too smoky (yeah, sure...if the O2 level is too low to burn hydrogen powering your firecar is going to be the least of your problems. ). So reacting the O2 with the H2 makes....um....water. And electricity.

I suppose it make the hydrogen by electrolysing the water exhaust . :-) Ah, the French!

"So you see we feed the rats to the cats, and the cats to the rats, and get the furs for free!"

<blockquote>
The real humdinger among the concept vehicles, though, is the H2O. Let's check this one out carefully: a rather snazzy-looking fire engine - yes. Ladder on the roof - yes. Water the theme - yes, not just in the context of spraying it over a blaze, but also because the H2O has a fuel cell powertrain, with modest amounts of water being almost the only thing in the exhaust.

Actually, Peugeot uses the expression pile à combustible, which is the (rather rude to Anglo-Saxon ears) French version of fuel cell. Hence the name of the Taxi PAC concept unveiled last year.

The H2O is a step forward in design, though, able to generate fuel in "real time". The point of installing the latest system in a fire engine is that if a vehicle of this kind is working in a smoke-filled environment where there's little or no oxygen, then the oxygen needed for operating the fuel cell can be taken from a tank on board. The H2O also has on-board breathing equipment for fire-fighters to use. </blockquote>

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/FE000445.htm

And here's another Peugot concept fire car:

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote