View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Huh? I wasn't aware Comcast was storing anything for me, except my emails until I retrieve them.
Well, they might not need to keep it since ...

"...a car in every garage, a chicken in every pot..." has become "...an FBI agent in every colon..."

Quote:
The FBI has developed new software, formerly called Carnivore, that allows the FBI to "tap" the Internet.
Carnivore, acting like a "sniffer," searches through all traffic on a network on which it is installed, and not just traffic emanating from a particular computer connection. Carnivore supposedly records only information sent to or from a suspect under surveillance. The information Carnivore records is then viewed by FBI agents.
The FBI, however, has not released detailed information about how Carnivore works so no one is really sure if what the FBI claims Carnivore does is actually true. Since the government, and not ISPs control Carnivore, there is no way of knowing exactly what information gets through the filter and into the FBI's hands. Since Carnivore is installed directly into an ISP's network, the program literally monitors every piece of information that travels across the network.