Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks guys, I'll scan the library for the books for the time being.

**News flash**

My one interviewer, so far, sent me a nice message today saying that they were offering the job to another candidate.

*sigh*

In my reply to her message, I thanked her for actually telling me (it's not a given... the silence can be deafening), and I asked her if she'd consider two more questions.

1 -- How can I do better in an interview?

2 -- Having seen me and my resume, does she have any friends/colleagues/competitors with computers that need tending? And if not now, then maybe in the future.

Interestingly, the first time the lady contacted me and arranged the interview, I had a call from a headhunter at an agency. The call turned into a 25 minute phone interview. I was feeling preeeety good. But obviously the face to face interview didn't result in a job offer (yet). And interestingly, the lady who said all those nice things on the telephone never called back like she said she would. Oh well.

[cue Twilight Zone music]

After sending the reply described above, my phone rang. A recruiter. Asking (interviewing) me questions about this and that. Nice guy, Pete M, but kind of out of his depth in a technical sense. As he read from his script of questions, my answers prompted some explanations for him--"Uh, what is a VPN?" or "Layer 2 and Layer 3?" I managed to impress him enough, I guess, since he said he was going to email me a formal application.

HOLY COW!

It's really there, in my inbox. Well. This is a pleasant change from the previous trajectory. Ok, it's basically the same set of questions in the phone call and a request for my resume in Word format. Cool.