Thread: Power squid
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
chawker
Kinda New Member

Talking

Hello. I am the inventor of the PowerSquid TM (both the less expensive non-surge model and the more expesnive surge models you discuss) and I stumbled across your thread while surfing around and wanted to at least set the record straight on a couple issues.

1. The PowerSquid Surge Protector line is currently undergoing lab testing (MET Lab and UL) under 1449 and won't be sold until it has passed (and is even built to new 2007 standards)

2. The product absolutely features a 15-amp circuit breaker built into the switch (as required).

3. The switch is recessed, so if you step on it (even upside down), it is unlikely to depress the switch.

4. MOVs DO provide benefit, absorbing excess voltage (ino our case, anything over 330V)to prevent harm to your equipment. They do wear out over time. The higher the joule rating the more surge it can absorb. Surge protection that doesn't wear out exists at a much higher cost, but the vast majority utilize MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors).

5. The PowerSquid also features a thermal fuse (Tripwire) that physically severs the circuit when the last MOV fails, thereby preventing any additional current from flowing. This prevents the surge protector from becoming a 'dummy' (still passing power but without any protection) and also protects from catastrophic events like lightning.

Like I said, this is just to set the record straight on the features of the PowerSquid. I hope you are all enjoying your days
chawker is offline   Reply With Quote