Thread: Power squid
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
Kinda neat, not so neat price. http://www.powersquid.net/index.htm
Nice idea ... until I look for critically important numbers. Up front and most essential - no approval label from Underwriters Laboratory nor from CSA. That alone is a very large downside.

Then it contains MOVs. That means it must also have a UL 1449 approval. It does not.

Third, any power expansion device must have a 15 amp circuit breaker. This 'missing' circuit breaker on plug moles (another type of power expansion device) caused completely unnecessary death to numerous dogs in a nearby kennel. There is no exception from this last requirement. It must have a 15 amp circuit breaker.

Fourth, it uses MOVs where MOVs will not be effective. Even worse are examples of MOV protectors that also met UL1449 and still endangered human life:
http://www.westwhitelandfire.com/Art...Protectors.pdf

Another product that would be useful and is not commonly found is an equivalent device that contains arc-fault protection. Cellar dwellers would remember the Christmas tree fire that literally drove Dave and his family out of the house in only five minutes. Many pets were lost. This fire avoidable had the Christmas tree been lit through an arc-fault protected power expansion device. Something that can be installed in the circuit breaker box and is now required on all bedroom circuits. Something that is useful protection for special functions such as Christmas tree lights. Something that is still not available in hardware stores except as part of AC mains circuit breakers.

That squid 'power expansion device' does address a problem of large plugs and 'power bricks'. But does so at serious expense of human safety. For the price, I would expect it to contain an arc-fault circuit, or at minimum, a 15 amp fuse. It contains none of that. But it contains MOVs where MOVs provide no benefit AND where MOVs create a human safety problem.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote