View Single Post
Old 08-12-2002, 01:17 PM   #32
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I think all those people that savaged that man and the 9th Circuit are the true unpatriotic bastards. As would be anyone who physically attempts to stop someone from burning a flag. No one has to like it. In fact, rather than risk assault, why not form your own protest? Grab the biggest stars and stripes you can find, wave it with pride, and lead a group of 100 people in "God Bless America."
Because if I saw someone burning the flag, my goal would not be to show them that I disagree. My goal would be to prevent them from doing so and think twice about it in the future. Like I said, I think a flag-burning amendment is a bad idea, but that doesn't mean I'd sit idly by while someone pissed on everything I hold dear.

I agree it might not be the most intelligent or enlightened response, but I don't really care. If you think that qualifies me as an unpatriotic bastard, fine by me. I'm not interested in winning any popularity contests. I can be a very civil and diplomatic person on most issues, but there are just certain areas where I draw the line. I am against just about any legislation whose primary intent is to take away freedoms or rights, but that doesn't mean I won't do anything about it myself.