Thread: Total Recorder
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #22
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
One problem I'm having ... is that I am only getting Mono sound, from the left channel. ...

Either a) my kids messed up the stylus on my turntable which was sitting within reach of their mitts for a few years, or b) my amp is messed up. The balance knob doesn't seem to work right, so this might be the real culprit. I could hook up our other amp from the living room, but that would be a MAJOR project to pull it out of the cabinet and disconnect all the cables. or c) the Dell Dimension 8400 I have uses a cheap mono line in instead of stereo. Can't find any info on this in the documentation that came with the PC.
OK, in case anyone cares, I figured out how to get my system to work. There was some crazy submenu somewhere that I had to find and select "Stereo" instead of "mono." I was poking around so many places, I'm still not sure how I did it, but at least I know that it exists, and I could probably find it again, given enough time.

I just finished converting my first vinyl album to a CD. I'm VERY pleased with the results. I chose to use Audacity instead of Total Recorder because Audacity is free. FREE! Open source too. I like that. With Audacity, I was able to record the vinyl from the stereo line-in jack on my PC. I was also able to easily find the breaks between songs, select each entire song, and save each selection (song) as a WAV file to be burned onto a CD. There may be an easier way to split the tracks up with Audacity, but this works well enough. My first test album was recorded a little too quietly, so I did waste one CD blank during the learning process. The second audio CD I burned was perfect.

In fact, it was better than the source vinyl. There was one spot on the album with a bad scratch. No skipping, but a very loud pop repeated for about 10-15 seconds. I used Audacity's "silence selection" feature to delete each pop. It was pretty freaking cool. I'd never used any sound editing software before, but I was able to zoom in on the music "wave" until I was only looking at a hundreth of a second or so. Then I selected the portion of the music where the pop signal was shooting off the chart, and I replaced it with a hundredth of a second or so of silence. During playback, you can't hear the silence, because it goes by too fast, but the pop is gone. Very cool.

I've only used Audacity for a few hours so far, but I love it. Total Recorder may be better than Audacity. I honestly don't know. I don't know, because it costs money, so I never bothered to find out.

xoxoxoBruce, I'd like to thank you for answering all my questions and for starting this thread. I found Audacity when I was reading reviews for Total Recorder, and I never heard of Total Recorder until you started this thread. It couldn't have come at a better time, since I'd just begun to think seriously about converting all my vinyl.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote