View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #163
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Slang, I always thought of you as a knight in shining armor and admired the fact that you even TRY to learn about other countries and cultures. Most Americans have a sense of cultural and personal superiority when they are abroad that is truly depressing, as well as dangerous. You have been able to do in person what I can only do on the internet. I never doubt your sincerity and good will, I just have been wondering why you couldn't see the obvious in the place where you are now.

Yes, Asia is emerging, but the Philippines is sinking. Education as you know it does not exist, English is no longer taught in the schools, grades are purchased, there are no textbooks. Anybody with true abilities or experience has left the country. "Business" is defined as what the rich do to siphon off all the money and opportunities. Software like we get everywhere is not purchased in the Phils, they get counterfeited copies from China. People who are graduated (or buy a diploma) in computer/software subjects can't pass even the simplest qualifying exams and are never considered for positions which Korean, Chinese, or Singapore nationals so completely outclass them for. If you are 30 or older, no company may hire you and training institutes will not accept your application. Multinational companies will not keep branches in the Phils anymore because they can't get educated and reliable employees and the taxes and extortion and kidnappings have driven them to safer countries. The taxes were just raised again by 15% and a plebecite is scheduled for next year which is expected to further consolidate the power of the government against the people.

The Filipino people are NOT stupid, they are not inferior, it's the country which has the problem. People have to start their own businesses because there are no jobs, and they have endless imagination as to extracting gain from any situation, any object, any person. It is deeply ingrained in the Oriental cultures, quick wits and quick hands. They live in an impossible situation and they make the best of it in any way they can. Unfortunately, too many of them accept deception, counterfeiting, cheating, and using other people as part of these necessities of life. They are also torn between being grateful for assistance and being suspicious of the motives of the assistor. In other words, they don't know if they should use you or avoid you when you try to "help" them. I have seen both of these faces in my dealings with this group of people.

I wish you luck, Slang. Your heart is in the right place. Just one more word of caution: Don't simply write a check. Accountancy does not exist there, and money evaporates into the pockets of every person in the extended family because what you would consider a whim is considered an "emergency" to them.