View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Finger on the Button

We all know the President has effectively had his “finger on the button” since Harry Truman. And, the button has become increasingly more powerful and dangerous. With the treaties that were negotiated and detant, I started to feel easier about that button. That was then…… this is GW Bush.
Then last night I came across this article from back in October.
Quote:
The two physicists began their grass roots petition last month following reports in The New York Times and Washington Post that the federal government was in the final process of adopting a new U.S. policy that would permit the use of nuclear weapons against an adversary for the following reasons:
-- For rapid and favorable war termination on U.S. terms.
-- To ensure success of U.S. and multinational operations.
-- To demonstrate U.S. intent and capability to use nuclear weapons to deter adversary use of weapons of mass destruction.
-- Against an adversary intending to use weapons of mass destruction against US, multinational, or alliance forces.
I read that as, to win without risking the loss of American lives that causes us to reflect on the morality of the conflict. The same for the swing to autonomous war machines. Push button wars that can be waged and won before the morning papers come out.....even against Americans.

I know he’s the President..... got the presidential seal..... up on the podium.... and his Mama loves him, but he’s pretty damned uppity for hired help.