View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 10:31 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dude, I'm behind the country 100%. The reason I personally watch Iran is because I would rather there not be another 1979 and I would far rather you not be put in harm's way.

They say people who have been in war prefer peace, and maybe that's why Colin Powell is the official administration dove.

Iran is important because as they jail guys like this - even cane-bearing Liberaces who wear sequins and lace - the people of the country get a little more ticked off. They see that the Mullahs in charge are putting their favorite entertainers in prison. They are starting to press for revolution.

That, in turn, sends a message to the rest of the Islamic world. One Islamic nation gets uppity and hosts Al Queda, and for their efforts gets a big ol' smackdown. Message to radical Islamists: fighting the encroaching culture with violence will get you killed. If Iran falls, it will be an Islamic government that fell because the people wanted it to fall. It will be another very strong message to all those vaguely anti-American countries that maybe the Islamic government promised by the Koran isn't so great after all.

The Iranian people are, unlike their Arab associates to the south, kinda pro-US culture, from what I've heard. And pretty anti-Saddam, from what I've heard. Wouldn't you prefer to have a base there to attack Baghdad?

And the reason I watch guys like Ashcroft is because the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. I want you to say you fought for freedom, not for something that looks like freedom but actually isn't.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote