View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 08:24 PM   #38
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
I still don't think insisting a seven-year-old stay inside a Philly row house at 9:30 on a super-hot summer evening makes sense. These kids don't have yards to play in, the house was likely not air-conditioned, the sidewalk is their play space. Row houses are unbearably *hot* in the summer. This is a close-knit neighborhood, and a hue and cry was raised the instant these guys made their move.
I understand what you're saying Maggie. Yeah, Philadelphia rowhouses without A/C are unforgiving. But then you live at 60th and Kingsessing in SW Philadelphia...and it's dark out. Granted, each family situation is unique, but from my own personal experience at age 7, I had to be in by dark, unless my parents were sitting out in front of the apartment and I was right in front of the apartment. Truth be told, I don't know of many kids who didn't have to be in by dark at that age, and IMO, that seems like a bit too much freedom for a 7-year old. IMO, 7-year olds shouldn't be outside by themselves at Academy Rd. and Morrell Ave. or Haldeman Ave. and Tomlinson Rd. for that matter. At the very least, an adult should have been keeping an eye on these kids.

Apparently, most of the adults were at a block party that night, and these two girls were walking home from said party. One of those adults certainly could have accompanied them.

Quote:
The very same technique would have worked at a suburban shopping mall with adults around everywhere. In fact, the very same technique works *on adults* in suburban shopping malls.
Sure it has. But if one can take preventative steps to reduce the chances of a kidnapping from occurring, then why not take them? No, they might not work, b/c some criminals are that daring. I don't know if you carry your gun all the time, but someone could still snatch you off the street even if you have it on you. That gun is your preventative and protective step. Better to do something than nothing, right? Given that her grandmother is her guardian and she is only 7, her grandmother could have had someone walk those children home. It might not have helped, but...