View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Hey Bri-- Don't let the kids (here and at school) get you down. It's a pendulum. 30 years ago kids were liberal and the old folks said they didn't work a day in their life how could they know anything? Now the kids are Bushies and the old folks said they didn't work a day in their life how could they know anything?

What's still true is that the 21 yo kids still have no clue. They need to get kicked in the teeth a few times.

Taken to an extreme, the conservatives would have no community support and each person for himself. Taken to an extreme, the liberals would build a commune for everyone to share.

The middle ground features capitalism, entreprenueship, personal responsibility, social safety net, education, and fairness. A progressive tax structure is a fairness component of the incentive-based Free Market Game. I made a couple of million dollars a few year ago and paid half of it in fed and state income tax. I didn't make the megabucks by my self in isolation, my taxes support the system that gave birth to my wealth.

I ran a business and played by the rules. If a company is illegally unfair to employees, I want that company punished by the Labor Dept. It's not fair to my business to let that go on. Actually, I took a sabbatical from my company to work elsewhere. After I resigned with a month's notice, they took me off of payroll and my last paycheck never came. I argued with them about this, then took them to the CA Labor Dept and easily won my case (no cost to me).

So, I've been there, done that, in no particular order: Student, Employee, Jailmate, Capitialist, Entreprenuer, Employer

Some of my business colleagues think I'm a flaming liberal. All of my liberal friends think I'm a capialist pig; they almost turned white when I told them of my Oil & Gas Partnership investments. As if I was crossing ever deeper to the dark side.

Moderates will win the day!