View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 AM   #35
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
If compassion is a worthy trait of humans then isn't it somewhat false to say: "well, I have compassion for this creature because it is a lot like me, but bugs, well, bugs are kind of a nuisance so I don't really care about bugs. And while we're at it, fish don't really think, I mean scientists have proven that, so it is okay to just kill them. And vegetables can't run away, so they must have been meant to be eaten." etc.
I didn't come close to saying that. I said that I, personally, have an emotional attachment to dogs/cats. I admit that. I, strangely, do not have such an attachment to sharks. I FEAR the sea and all the creatures in it. Fear is not a good base for love. I said I am not bothered by live minnows used for bait and it is because I do not think they have a consciousness--I should have made that clear. What I said is true for me. It's not false at all. I didn't say it was true for everyone, obviously. It's not true for you, or the shark baiters.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote