View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #14
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

A 32-gal plastic trash can on wheels with a twist-lock top is available at Walmart for $12.00 or thereabouts. If you have a garage or carport they fit just fine out of the way, otherwise keep them on the other side of the gate leading to your back yard until time to roll them to the curb. No cat or any other critter can get into these, even if they knock them over it will not cause them to spill. The only down side is the sealed can standing in the sun creates a miasma which may knock you senseless when you open it to add another donation. This was my solution when I lived in Tucson, where the coyotes are so daring they will even walk into the kitchen and ask what's for dinner if you leave the back door open.

Not so sure about the amonia. When I lived in Albuquerque in the 70's, the City got the brilliant idea that they could save money by going to once-weekly trash collection and requiring the residents to put all trash in those big ol' brown trash bags and leave them curbside. In addition to the 100+ degree temperatures in Albuquerque, the leash law was barely enforced in those days and packs of mutts roamed down the residential streets on collection mornings, ripping open all those piles of bagged trash and strewing it everywhere. Threats to use shotguns on the dogs and mobs of furious residents in the municipal offices had no effect, as far as the City of Albuquerque was concerned we only had to sprinkle the bags with a little amonia and that would solve any problems. NOT. Absolutely. No. Effect. A whole bottle didn't even phase them. After a miserable 6 months of this I moved into an apartment complex with dumpsters and was able to stop dealing with City utilities, so I don't know if the dogs got the best of the residents or not.

The only things I have ever seen stop cats were pinecones on the ground or mousetraps, although I imagine homemade nail strips might work also. Somehow I can't imagine somebody laying out this kind of barrier around their trash 24/7, and besides, the little buggers can jump amazingly if they put their minds to it. I adore animals, but if ANY stray cat comes around spraying on my patio or pooping in my flowers, they will be greeted with violence. Strays can spread diseases, and I don't want the area contaminated where T'Pau, Queen of the Universe, might pick up something.