View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Slightly OT but regarding ducks.....

I watched a programme on Ch4 (UK channel) called "Supermarket Secrets". Felt quite small, as I believed I had a handle on where my food came from.

Turns out, in the UK, the RSPCA (Royal Scoiety for the Protection of Animals) issues a Freedom Food certificate to farms that breed animals for slaughter responsibly. I had heard all about battery farmed poultry - and always buy free range - but hadn't thought about ducks. Perhaps I assumed they were shot on my local duckpond or something Anyway, not a single duck breeder in the UK qualifies for the Freedom Food certificate.

Undercover filming showed quite nauseating scenes, and although I'm not sentimental about animals it certainly made me wake up to the possibility of infection from eating animals housed in those conditions.

I decided after that I wouldn't eat duck until I knew where it came from. Which doesn't sound too much of a hardship, but having recently discovered an All You Can Eat Chinese which has Crispy Fried Duck I feel I am suffering for my convictions!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote