View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
That said. If the caps are bulging, they need to be replaced, but that isn't necessarily the source of this problem. It could be, and it has to be ruled out, but Bullitt, you have to face the idea that you may fix the MB and find that the system still hangs for some other reason.

But that's how it goes with hardware, you know. You have to rule things out until you get to the problem.
UT understates the problem. Anymore, the atomic irreducible component that is considered replaceable is proportional to your budget (combined $$ and frustration threshold). It is nothing to consider replacing an entire motherboard, or, wrt the "budget" the whole computer. Thankfully is is easy to transplant parts of the busted machine into the new machine. Ultimately, what's important is your data. It's not the hardware, it's not the software, it's your data. And right now, your data is hopefully only being held hostage by some balky gear.

Getting your data out from behind the train wreck of your current system is your goal, and having incurring a minimum expense in the process is the best route. But that minimum may well involve a whole new motherboard.

Just curious (I have many Dells in my herd), what model machine are you dealing with? Maybe I have one here that I could eyeball. That would give me a better chance to speculate as to the odds of replacing it with a non-Dell unit.